Prospective StudentsThe National Labor College (NLC) has developed unique programs to satisfy the educational needs of trade union officers and staff members who cannot be served by traditional educational institutions and conventional educational mechanisms.
NLC offers a Bachelor of Arts in Labor Studies with concentrations available in seven different areas and a Bachelor of Technical and Professional Studies.
There are also opportunities for graduate students:
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration
- Master’s Degree in Legal and Ethical Issues
- Master’s Degree in Union Leadership and Administration
NRC for OSHA Training
The National Resource Center for OSHA Training is one of 21 centers in the country - the OSHA Region III Education Center.
Funding from federal and state agencies and private foundations enables the Center to expand its training and educational activities to subject areas which are beyond its traditional program and financial resource base, but within the broad scope of labor studies. Federation and national union participation in our grant and contract programs integrates their training objectives into the Center's educational mission.
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist. The program prepares students to earn a professional designation widely recognized and respected in the employee benefits field.
- Hazardous Materials Training for Railway Workers (HAZMAT). The objective of this program has been to develop and sustain training for rail workers involved in the transportation of hazardous materials and hazardous waste.
- Labor Safety and Health Training Project. The Labor Safety and Health Training Project is a joint project of the George Meany Center for Labor Studies/National Labor College and the AFL-CIO Department of Occupational Safety and Health.
- Southwest Organizing School. Labor classes are offered in locations throughout the southwest, such as Dallas, Houston, Santa Fe, Phoenix and Albuquerque.
National Labor College Catalogs
The 2005-2006 course catalogs are available for download.